How to Get Canadian Permanent Residence
If you want to become a permanent resident of Canada and want to apply for Canada PR, you must know the Canada PR Visa process. It will help you determine your eligibility, the cost to apply for a PR Visa, and all the basic details related to a permanent resident visa.
Become a Canadian Permanent Resident
he majority of skilled immigrants moving to Canada are from India, as there are many options to apply for a Canada PR Visa from India.
Immigration is the key for Canada’s economy to recover from the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. Canada is still accepting applications of new immigrants for PR Visa. They have targeted to welcome 401,000 immigrants this year.
What is Canada Permanent Resident Visa?
A Canada permanent resident visa is a type of permanent visa that allows the holder to live, work or study anywhere in the country for 5 years. After you have lived in the country for 3 years, you can apply to become a Canadian citizen.
Benefits of moving to Canada as a permanent resident
As a Canadian PR Visa holder, you can enjoy the following benefits:
- Can live and work anywhere in Canada
- Free world-class health coverage
- Free education for children up to 18 years of age
- Sponsor Your Relatives
- Become a Canadian Citizen
What are the minimum requirements to apply for a Canada PR Visa?
If you meet the following requirements, you are eligible to apply for Canada PR Visa as a skilled worker:
- Score minimum 67 points in FSWP points assessment grid.
- Must have a minimum of one year of work experience in an eligible occupation.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Score 6 points per band in the IELTS examination.
- Meet the minimum educational requirements.
- Provide proof of settlement funds.
How to apply for a Canada PR Visa?
Federal Economic Class Immigration
Canada’s majority of skilled immigrants come from the federal economic class, with annually over 200,000 immigrants to be welcomed in Canada over the next three years.
There are three major federal economic immigration programs:
All the above-mentioned programs are managed by an application management system, introduced in 2015, the Express entry program. It uses a ranking system – Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) to rank all the profiles in the express entry pool based on the CRS score of the profile.Higher-ranked profiles in the pool are then issued Invitation to Apply (ITAs) through frequently held express entry draws. Candidates will have 60 days to submit their complete application to IRCC for a PR Visa.
Provincial Nomination Programs
- Provincial Nomination Programs (PNP) is specifically designed for Canadian provinces or territories to meet the demands of the local labor market and nominate skilled immigrants to live in the province as permanent resident.There are two major ways to apply for Canada provincial nomination:
- The first is through the Express entry program. You have to submit your Expression Of Interest (EOI) through your express entry profile to the PNP you are applying for provincial nomination.
- The second way is to directly apply for provincial nomination to the respective PNP you want to live in.
Canada PNP is a better alternative for immigrants who are not able to meet the requirements for the Express Entry program and apply for PR Visa.
- Quebec has different immigration programs to select skilled workers to live in the province as permanent residents. Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSWP) is one of the major immigration programs for immigrants who want to live in the province of Quebec as permanent residents. The other immigration programs under Quebec Immigration are – Quebec Business Immigration and Quebec Experience Program (PEQ).
- Canada has immigration programs that are specifically designed to attract experienced business owners from around the world to start their own business in Canada, with many applications being accepted from India.Following are business immigration programs at the federal level:
Also, there are Business immigration streams under each PNP helping provinces in their economic development.
Family Class Immigration
- Through Family Class immigration, Canadian permanent residents and citizens can sponsor their family members to immigrate to Canada and reunite families.Canada Spouse Visa is part of Family Class Immigration that allows the Canadian permanent residents and citizens to sponsor the application of their close family member, spouse or common-law partners, dependent children for a PR Visa.
What are the documents required to apply for a PR Visa?
- The basic requirements to get Permanent residence in Canada are:
- Proof that you have adequate funds to support your application and stay in the country
- Educational credential assessment (ECA)
- Original copies and official translations of documents supporting your visa application.
- Educational degrees and certificates
- Skills assessment test
- Language test results
What is the step-to-step process to apply for a Canada PR Visa?
- Following are simple steps to apply for Canada PR Visa:Step 1 Get ECA: You have to get your educational credentials assessed by an authorized Canadian Assessing Body to check the equivalency as per Canadian education.Step 2 Complete your IELTS Exam: In the second step, you need to attain the required IELTS scores or a minimum of 6 bands in each module of Reading, Writing, Speaking, and Listening.
Step 3 Create an Express Entry Profile: Applicants will be required to create an Express Entry profile by registering themselves under the Federal government’s Express Entry program online. The Express Entry profile is then submitted into the Express Entry pool.
Step 4 Apply for PNPs (Optional): In case the applicant wants to apply for a provincial nominee program, they can wait for an NOI or interest letter to apply under a PNP.
Step 5 Get an ITA: Once the applicant can clear the minimum required CRS score, they are issued the Invitation to Apply (ITA). Once they have the ITA, the applicant has 60 days to submit their application to IRCC with all the required documents.
Step 6 Medical and PCC: Applicants must undergo a medical examination as a mandatory requirement to apply for Canada PR Visa. Candidates must also obtain a PCC Police Clearance Certificate.
Step 7 Application reviewed by IRCC: IRCC will review the Canada PR application by doing a background check and assessing all the submitted documents. This process takes around 4 to 6 months.
Step 8 The biometric fee: Applicant receives a request for biometrics and fingerprints.
Step 9 Passport Submission request & COPR You receive a request to submit your passport for visa stamping and soon after that, you get the Confirmation of Permanent Residency (COPR).
The transition from Temporary worker to permanent resident
- The rate of Temporary workers in Canada transitioning to permanent residents is increasing. Canada continues to accept temporary workers in essential occupations during the COVID-19 pandemic.This is a popular route for applicants who are not immediately eligible for permanent residence when applying from India. Time spent in Canada as a temporary resident counts towards the Canada PR Visa application.Work permits are issued under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP), the International Mobility Program, and the International Experience Canada Program. Caregivers also have their streams for work permits (under the TFWP) and the transition to permanent residence.